As the new organization
took shape, the Board of Directors recognized the need to
introduce a new name for the two-site hospital that better
reflected its mandate and vision. The Board opened up a naming
competition to the community, inviting residents to submit
their proposals for a new identity. More than 800 suggestions
were received, including several variations on the name 'Trillium'.
On October 6, 1998, Trillium Health
Centre unveiled its new name and visual identity at special
ceremonies at each hospital location, launching the beginning
of a bright future in health care for Mississauga and West
Health Centre officially opens.
West Toronto location becomes the Ambulatory Care Centre
Community Treatment (ACT) program officially opens.
Catheterization Labs officially open.
Care Centre opens at the West Toronto location.
new wing opens at the Mississauga location housing the
largest Emergency Care Centre in Canada, new critical
care areas for the Coronary Care Unit, Intensive Care
Unit and Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit, a Health
Information & Wellness Centre, and the Colonel Harland
Sanders Family Care Centre, the first of its kind in
a community hospital in Canada.
opens the Kid'z Klinic at the Mississauga location.
Secondary Stroke Clinic opens at the Mississauga location.
Cardiac Wellness & Rehabilitation Centre opens at
Management Office opens.
state-of-the-art multi-slice CT Scanner is installed
at West Toronto.
Health Information & Wellness Centre opens at West
Toronto, complementing the service already offered at
the Mississauga location.
Surgicentre officially opens at the West Toronto location-
the largest freestanding day surgery facility in North
1st Back to School Conference, an internal educational
conference, is held.
Regional Stroke Centre officially opens.
opens a self-contained 8-bed Geriatric Mental Health
Inpatient Unit providing short-term hospitalization
for older adults.
Comprehensive Stroke Unit opens at the Mississauga location,
the first of its kind in Canada
Betty Wallace Women's Health Centre opens West Toronto,
offering women in the community access to integrated
services dedicated to the specialized care to women
with potential breast cancer and osteoporosis.
is the first hospital in Canada
to use new mini-pump
heart bypass technology.
receives ISO 14001 Registration - the first multi-site
hospital in the world to do so.
Kingsway Financial Spine Centre, the first centre of
its kind in Canada, opens at the West Toronto location
offering one-stop care to people with acute back and
gives approval to Trillium's expansion and redevelopment
projects at both sites.
installs the Toshiba 64 Slice Multi Detector CT, allowing
the hospital to provide Cardiac CTs for the first time.
installs the Toshiba Neuro Biplane, a diagnostic and
interventional tool used to treat aneurysms, tumors,
strokes and blood vessel malformations of the brain
and spine. It is the first one in Peel Region and only
the 6th in Ontario.
new state-of-the-art MRI replaced the older model, allowing
Trillium to perform brain, spine, joint and general
body imaging as well as specialized breast and cardiac
- President and Chief Executive Officer Ken
- Janet Davidson, O.C., appointed Trillium's
new President and CEO
- Trillium awarded Ontario's first Innovations
Award for Improving Quality and Patient Safety
- Trillium named first and only health care
organization as an Ontario Environmental Leader
- Renamed two locations to Mississauga and
West Toronto to help patients find us more easily
- Became a smoke-free facility
- Capital expansion and redevelopment projects
began in March (to be completed in 2009)
- Received Canadian Council on Health Services
Accreditation (CCHSA) report stating Trillium is a national
leader in patient safety activity
- Trillium received National Quality Institute
(NQI) Level III Award. The Level III Award means Trillium
meets eligibility conditions for NQI’s Canada Awards
of Excellence Silver Award
- LHIN (Local Health Integrated Networks)
began on April 1st. The role of the LHIN is to plan, coordinate,
integrate, fund and monitor local health care services
- Trillium Health Centre receives the 3M Health Care Quality Team Award for Creating Excellence in Spine Care.
- The Trillium Way opens in November at Trillium – West Toronto.
- Primary Percutaneous Coronary Angioplasty available at Trillium 24/7
- New “OM” Fracture Clinic opens at Mississauga
- Introduction of Halal diet menu options for Muslim patients
- New Cardiac Cath Lab opens at Mississauga
- Hazel McCallion Centre for Heart Health naming is announced at Foundation gala ribbon cutting ceremony
- E-Whiteboard launched
- Betty and Buster Lockwood Cancer Detection and Treatment Centre opens at West Toronto
- Trillium Way (east entrance) opens at West Toronto
- Presented with Showcase Ontario Merit Award for innovative patient information technology (HIAL)
- New ultrasound suite at Mississauga opens
- Receive NQI Gold Award and PEP Level 4 for organizational excellence, quality performance and for providing a healthy workplace
- Trillium receives 2008 Patient Safety Award for the Purell Challenge at OHA convention
- Urgent Care Centre officially opens
- STEMI program launched with Halton Region EMS for heart attack patients
- Trillium adopts Spoken Menu. Result is improved patient satisfaction with the quality of food.
- In May, the New Inpatient Wing officially opened.
- Hospital Report 2009 recognizes Trillium as a high performer for Clinical Outcomes and Utilization for acute care, rehab and complex continuing care.
- Trillium receives the Creating Excellence in Spine Care award at the 3M Health Care Quality Team Awards.
- Trillium wins the Canadian College of Health Service Executives’ Health Care Safety Award for our Safe Patient Hand Off – Transfer of Accountability initiative.
- iCARE, Trillium’s internal portal, wins an International Award of Distinction from U.S.-based Strategic Healthcare Communications
- Trillium inducted into the National Quality Institute’s Canadian Hall of Excellence.
- The Foundation reaches its $15-million cardiac challenge goal in support of the Hazel McCallion Centre for Heart Health
- The Summerville Family Health Team (FHT), in collaboration with Trillium Health Centre, expands to become a divisional site for a Family Medicine Teaching Unit (FMTU) through the University of Toronto, Department of Family and Community Medicine.
- Diabetes Management Centre opens in their new and improved location at Trillium-Mississauga, equipped with a full kitchen for cooking demonstrations.
- Peel EMS implements Emergency Bypass for patients having a myocardial infarction, sending patients directly to the cardiac cath labs at Trillium for intervention. Outcome and process results have been outstanding for this program to date.
- Electronic Patient Documentation – Release 2 completed. Nursing and Respiratory Therapy electronic documentation for intake assessment, head-to-toe assessment and vital signs successfully rolled out to Trillium’s adult inpatient units.
- The GlaxoSmithKline Chronic Disease Management Centre opens in the Clinical and Administrative Building at Trillium – Mississauga.