Programs & Services
Sweet Success Exercise Video
Diabetes Management Centre (Adult)
With over 70,000 people living with diabetes in our community, and the number expected to rise, diabetes education is more important today than ever before. At Trillium, a team of nurses, dietitians, endocrinologists, a social worker, exercise specialist, and chiropodist educate more than 5,000 patients a year on what exactly diabetes is and how to control and manage the disease for healthy living.
Instruction is given on how to test blood sugar levels and administer insulin injections to oneself as well as to a family member and on the proper methods for taking pills. Information on healthy food choices is also discussed.
The Diabetes Management Centre offers the following programs for adults:
- Classes for people with Type 1, 2, gestational and pre-diabetes
- Individual counselling
- Four day insulin program
- Insulin pump training
- Transitional group for young adults moving from a paediatrics program
- Exercise programs
- Healthy Feet Clinic
- Healthy Heart Program
- Bi-annual newsletter “Diabetes Bulletin” - provides patients with up-to-date information on technologies, treatments and educational workshops
- Annual Diabetes Health Fair
- Ongoing workshops and speaker nights
- Languages available: English, Punjabi, Urdu, Hindi, Italian, Arabic, Mandarin, Cantonese, Polish, Ukrainian, Spanish, Tamil and Gujarati
Support and stress management groups are offered as well as referrals to social workers, pharmacists, and chiropodists when necessary.
Help for diabetes
Thanks to the Diabetes Management Centre's Diabetes Passport and Sweet Success program, Soo lost weight and has her diabetes under control.
Soo Jones knew what
she had to do. She just didn’t know how to begin. Diagnosed
with diabetes seven years ago, her doctor advised her to lose
weight and to better control her blood sugar, high blood pressure
and cholesterol. Soo accepted her doctor’s referral
to Trillium’s Diabetes Management Centre.
Today, she has lost weight, eats well and exercises regularly. “Trillium’s Diabetes Passport gives me the information and tools I need to monitor my diabetes. The Sweet Success program helped me start exercising. Now I don’t want to stop,” she says.
Do you have diabetes? We can help. Speak with your doctor.