Programs & Services
Cancer Detection and Treatment
We know that it takes more than just treatment to help our patients. That is why Betty and Buster Lockwood Cancer Detection and Treatment Centre offers support services to help you manage your disease.
Dieticians and Nutritional SupportA healthy diet is very important during every stage of your cancer treatment and recovery. Consuming enough calories, protein and fluid during treatment will help you feel better and keep your body strong. Eating well can also help increase your energy level, boost your immune system and speed up the healing and recovery process.
Cancer treatments can cause various side effects that make it difficult to maintain adequate nutrition. Your dietitian can provide nutritional strategies to manage the following side effects:
- Poor appetite
- Weight loss
- Nausea and vomiting
- Altered sense of taste
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing
- Heartburn and reflux
- Gas or bloating
What can a dietitian do for you?
- Provide an individualized eating plan to meet your needs
- Help manage changes in appetite and weight
- Help minimize side effects of cancer treatment
- Answer questions about specific foods, vitamins, herbs and supplements
- Assist with healthy lifestyle changes for cancer survivorship
Prevention And Screening
Many types of cancer can be prevented and/or diagnosed early through screening. Follow this link to the Canadian Cancer Society to learn more.
Living With Cancer - Partnerships
If you are looking for more information on a specific type of cancer or support the following websites are a place to start.
- Canadian Cancer Society
- Young Adult Cancer Canada
- Sharing Strength [website for patient with breast cancer]
- Look Good Feel Better
- Colorectal Cancer Association of Canada
- Lung Cancer Canada
- Heart House Hospice
- Dorothy Ley Hospice
Life After Cancer/Survivorship
Once treatment is done it is sometimes difficult to readjust your life. Your oncology team can always be contacted to assist with these concerns but the following websites may also serve to give you information.