Programs & Services
Regional Sexual Assault & Domestic Violence Services
We help individuals who have been sexually assaulted or have been victims of domestic violence. We serve the entire Peel Region (Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon area).
- women and men 12 years of age or older who have been sexually assaulted within the last 72 hours
- women 16 years of age or older who have incurred recent injuries as a result of domestic violence
- children under the age of 12 who have been sexually abused or assaulted (see Paediatric Sexual Assault Services [link to page] for more information on this topic)
Clients may access our 24-hour, 7-days-a week service through Trillium’s Emergency Department (map) [link: map of our hospital’s location] located at the corner of the Queensway and Hurontario.
Clients are taken to a safe, private, secure unit called Chantel’s Place. A specially-trained nurse provides one-on-one care, which may include:
- documentation of injuries [with an option of photographing injuries]
- safety planning
- emotional support
- information concerning medical, legal and counseling options
Language interpreters are available, if required.
Follow-up Medical Services
The Follow-Up Clinic provides survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence with an opportunity to receive a range of medical services that may include:
- Re-documentation of injuries
Care related to medication and/or results of testing
Referral to social service agencies
Counselling Services 905-848-7689
We provide free-of-charge counseling for survivors of recent sexual assault and those who are supporting someone who has been sexually assaulted. Our counsellors are qualified and registered. Services are available in Mississauga or Brampton from 8:30am to 4:30pm with some evening appointments available (see below for maps and directions).
For more information, please call 905 848 7689.
Referrals to other Community Agencies
In addition to medical services, clients can be referred to other community agencies upon request. Click the links to learn more about each agency:
- Interim Place’s Transitional and Housing and Support Program [link: to page 4, Interim Place] for women who have experienced domestic violence.
- Peel Regional Police Special Victims’ Unit for survivors of sexual assault and child abuse.
- Peel Children’s Centre provides treatment for children who have been sexually abused.
Our Community Partners
In partnership with other agencies, we work towards providing people who have experienced violence in their lives with a coordinated community response by our active membership on two Coordinating Committees. The Peel Committee on Sexual Assault at 905-273-4100 and the Peel Committee Against Woman Abuse at 905-282-9792. Both Coordinating Committees have excellent information available.
Trillium Health Centre’s Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Services is one of 35 hospital based programs in Ontario. For more information about our Network and services available throughout the province, please visit the Ontario Network of sexual Assault /Domestic violence Treatment Centre’s website at www.satcontario.com
Our Care and Compassionate Fund provides emergency transportation, clothing and food to clients who experience violence in their lives. In addition, this fund subsidizes self defense courses for girls and women within our community.
If you would like more information or are interested in making a donation, please send a cheque payable to the Trillium Health Centre Foundation and mail it to the Trillium Health Centre Foundation, Clinical Administration Building, 5th Floor, 100 Queensway West, Mississauga, ON, L5B 1B8. Please note to direct funds to - Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Services. Tax receipts are available for amounts $25.00 and above. If you would prefer to make a donation using Visa, Mastercard or Amex, please contact the Foundation office at 905-848-7575.
Sexual Assault Survivors
Outpatient counselling by qualified and registered social workers with an expertise in sexual assault is available free of charge to:
- survivors of recent sexual assault
- those supporting a survivor of sexual assault, and
- survivors 12 years of age or older who have experienced a peer assault in the past.
Services are available in Mississauga or Brampton.
Please phone 905-848-7689 for more information.
Domestic Violence Survivors
- A formal relationship with Interim Place has been established.
- A Transitional Support Program is available to meet with women to provide support and information on a variety of issues including housing, employment services, income support, job training, immigration, legal services and referrals to long-term counselling.
As a community-based service, we also provide client advocacy, public and professional training, education and prevention strategies such as Wen-Do courses. In partnership with other community agencies, we work towards providing survivors with a seamless service by our active membership on two coordinating committees - the Peel Committee on Sexual Assault and the Peel Committee Against Woman Abuse.